We study fluid dynamics and heat transfer in complex natural phenomena and engineering systems using numerical, mathematical, and statistical models, guided by observational and experimental data. Our work is often motivated by theoretical and applied problems related to environment and energy. Examples of problems of interest are environmental and geophysical flows, reduced-order modeling, extreme weather events, atmospheric turbulence, climate modeling, flow control in energy systems, and numerical and mathematical modeling of thermo-fluid processes. Our research is currently supported by NASA, NSF, ONR, National Academy of Sciences, Microsoft AI, Mitsubishi Electric Research Lab, Rice University Creative Ventures, and Rice Houston Engagement and Recovery Effort.
Postdoc position available as of July 2020: Funding as a part of an ONR-sponsored project is available for a postdoc position to work on 在IE浏览器中实现网页自动翻译:2021-11-17 · 很多人用过Chrome浏览器的人都知道，Chrome内置了自动翻译的功能，当我们浏览外文网站的时候，浏览器会自动弹出询问"是否通过Google翻译将网页翻译成中文"的提示，这对于经常上外文网站的人来说非常方便。. The start date is flexible: the position will become available as soon as August 1, 2020, but later starting dates in the Fall of 2020 and Spring of 2021 would be possible too. See the details here.
- 上外国的网站东西加速软件 Prof. Hassanzadeh has received the Young Investigator Award from the Office of Naval Research (ONR) for a proposal entitled “Using Artificial Intelligence and Inexact Computing to Improve Modeling of Multi-scale, Multi-physics, Chaotic Dynamical Systems with Applications to Weather Predictions”. Check out the Rice press release.
- March 2020: AGU’s EOS has a news story “Combining AI and Analog Forecasting to Predict Extreme Weather” covering our recent paper in JAMES on this topic.
- February 2020: Two papers on using deep learning for pattern recognition-based weather prediction, both led by PhD student Ashesh Chattopadhyay are out. Analog forecasting of extreme‐causing weather patterns using deep learning is published in AGU’s Journal of Advances in Modeling Earth System and 有些国外网络进不了怎么办 我想进国外的网站可是进:2021-6-13 · 1.网站进不去原因就多了,你自己的网速问题,你的电脑设置问题,你的软件设置(防火墙)等等,对方网站是否正常运行,是否访问用户太多,是否网络有问题等等, 2.互联网的概念是互相连通,所以不管什么国家哪一台计算机,理论上连接... is published in Scientific Reports. Check out the Rice press release.
- December 2019: Our recent paper on the projected increase in the size of blocking events under climate change is highlighted in NSF Research News and in a short video clip by pattern.com.
- November 2019: Our 上外国的网站东西加速软件 led by Ph.D. student Ebrahim Nabizadeh and in collaboration with Prof. Da Yang (UC Davis/LBNL) and Prof. Libby Barnes (CSU) is published in Geophysical Research Letters. In this paper, we show that jet streams’ blocking events, which cause weather extremes such as heat waves and cold spells, are becoming larger under climate change. We also use the Buckingham-pi theorem to derive a scaling law for the size of the blocking events in a hierarchy of climate models. The findings have implications for the size and magnitude of future extreme weather events. See the Rice press release, NSF Research News, phys.org & 上外国的网站东西加速软件
- November 2019: Our ongoing work on predicting extreme weather events using deep learning is highlighted as one of the research activities at Rice focused on using AI to address important, societal challenges.
- November 2019: Prof. Hassanzadeh gave a talk UC Berkeley Fluids Seminar entitled “Data-driven modeling of geophysical turbulence using Koopman-based Fluctuation-Dissipation Theorem”.
- November 2019: Prof. Hassanzadeh gave two talks at the Naval Academy Mathematics Department entitled “解决外网下载速度过慢问题_风之云的博客-CSDN博客:2021-8-10 · 我们经常要下载东西，特别是一下专业软件就不得不到官方网站下载了，但很多这样的软件常常需要到外国的一些官方网站里下载了。可是，也经常遇到下载速度过于缓慢的的问题，在这我是用了一个简单但是略显笨的方法，但是也挺实用的。如果看完文章后，你有更实用的方法欢迎留言！deep learning for improved weather/climate predictions” and “Data-driven modeling of geophysical turbulence using statistical physics + dynamical systems”.
- October 2019: Prof. Steve Brunton from the University of Washington visited our group and gave a talk entitled “Machine Learning and Sparse Optimization for Modeling, Sensing, and Controlling Fluid Dynamics” at the MECH seminar series.
- October 2019: Prof. Kamran Alba from the University of Houston visited our group and gave a talk entitled “Particle-laden Exchange Flows: Experiment and Theory” at the MECH seminar series.
- June 2019: Second-year PhD students Ashesh and Charles presented our recent work on using a hierarchy of deep learning techniques for data-driven prediction of a chaotic dynamical system at the ICML workshop “只剩下门缝的VPN何去何从-新华网 - XINHUANET.com:2021-2-7 · 只剩下门缝的VPN何去何从---工信部严管VPN提速，北京商报记者调查发现，在iOS与安卓的手机应用商城中，VPN App种类多样，可以畅游海外多国。中国网络空间战略研究所所长秦安也为“防火长城”指出，事关网络空间主权，中国当然不能对这些服务视而不见。“.
- May 2019: Our paper led by Ph.D. student 上外国的网站东西加速软件 and Prof. Zhiming Kuang (Harvard University) is published in Geophysical Research Letters. In this paper, we evaluate/compare indices for atmospheric blocking events in terms of how well they capture heat wave-causing weather patterns.